Nothing says love like cinnamon chocolate sugar cookies! Here is a sweet little recipe to enhance your hump day. These can be rolled out and cut into fun shapes or just formed into a ball and then rolled in sugar for fun little sweet treats.These are GREAT with an ice-cold glass of milk. I even think they would be perfect for home-made ice cream sandwiches. =)
Chocolate Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
1 cup of white sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 cups of all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream the butter with the paddle attachment of a mixer until creamy. Add the sugar and mix for about a minute. Scrape down the bowl well and mix again for about 30 seconds. Don’t mix too long. You don’t want this to be an airy batter.
- Add the egg and mix on low. Scrape down the bowl and mix again.
- Add the vanilla and give it a quick spin, not too long.
- In a separate bowl mix all the dry ingredients together. You can sift them or use a whisk and combine them well together.
- Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix on low just until the dough comes together and sticks to the paddle attachment.
- Place parchment paper on a 2 large cookie sheets. Divide dough into half and place one half on each cookie sheet. Cover with more parchment paper and roll out flat. I like my cookies thin so I roll it out pretty thin. Keep in mind you do have to move them from the parchment paper cookie sheet to the cookie sheet you are going to bake them on. After you have rolled them out, leave them covered and place them in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut out your shapes. Place the cookies on the other cookie sheet and return to the fridge for at least 10 minutes more.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Remove the cookies from the fridge and cook for 8-12 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack. Cool to room temperature and then feel free to decorate.
- If you don’t want to cut out shapes you can make simple sugar cookies.Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls and then roll in a bowl of white sugar, coating the whole ball. Place onto cookie sheet and flatten with a the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar. Bake the same way. As pictured above.
- Sprinkle cookies with colored sugar, jimmies, sprinkles etc before baking for a little variety.
- If you do not like cinnamon you can just leave it out or replace it with a teaspoon of instant coffee (the powder, not brewed) to deepen the flavor of the chocolate.
I made these for my parents and my in-laws for Valentine’s Day along with a home-made Valentine’s card. Spread the love friends!